Ever since I purchased my first essential oil in 1983, I have been fascinated by aromatherapy. This took me on my fascinating journey into natural therapies, acupuncture and aromatherapy to where I am today. I believe that aromatherapy has the potential to be a major catalyst for changing the way health care is provided around the world. However, aromatherapy has also since its inception been open to commercial exploitation. I love the fact that aromatherapy has become more popular than ever; however, it is imperative that essential oils are used safely and with integrity. This website is a platform to share my passion and knowledge of aromatherapy in an enjoyable but safe and professional way. This website will keep you up to date with the latest research and trends in aromatherapy and the use of essential oils. I look forward to your feedback, questions and comments. This will be a constant work in progress site. Please have an awesome day wherever you may be.
I would like to share with you my inspiration behind the aromatree. It has been an idea that I have had for over 30 years when I first began teaching aromatherapy and has over time evolved to reflect the complexity and diversity of aromatherapy.
It is not a new idea. I have drawn on many concepts to create the aromatree. I find it a very useful tool to make sense of the complexity of aromatherapy. As an aromatherapy educator, I often notice how frustrated people become when they have to learn the individual properties and actions of essential oils. I noticed that there were many relationships that excited between the individual essential oils and different parts of the plant such as the leaves, roots, resin, wood, fruits, seed or flowers.
The contents of Aromatree are as follows:
- What is aromatherapy?
- The language of plants
- Understanding the aromatree
- The aromatree (This chapter is the heart and soul of the book. It has a detailed section for each part of the aromatree – roots and rhizomes, wood, resin, fruit, seeds, leaves and flowers). In each part of the aromatree we examine the patterns and relationships that exist in relation to the following: essential oils, plant families, aroma, botany, mythology and symbolism, other uses, chemistry, properties, body, mind, personality, energetics, subtle, skincare, blending and safety.
- Some challenging essential oils
- How to use essential oils
- Appendix 1: List of essential oils
- Appendix 2: Glossary
- Appendix 3: Essential oil chemistry
- Appendix 4: Properties of essential oils
- Appendix 5: Summary of cautions and contraindications
- Appendix 6: Aromatherapy therapeutic index
I do sincerely hope that you enjoy reading the Aromatree.